I first encountered the word “Carpe Diem” in high school when I watched Dead Poets Society. In the film, Mr. John Keating, played by Robin Williams, challenges his students to question what they are told, see things from different perspectives and have the courage to live their own lives.
Upon searching it's etymology I learned that The phrase carpe diem comes from the Roman poet Horace: “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero,” commonly translated as “Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.”
At first, I thought carpe diem simply meant enjoying life by earning money, traveling, having fun, or doing what makes you happy. But as I grew older, I realized it means something deeper. It is not about living recklessly or having a YOLO mindset. It is about understanding that today is the only moment we can truly act upon.
One scene that stayed with me was when Keating showed his students old photographs of former students. Those young men once had dreams, ambitions, and plans for tomorrow. Now, as Keating puts it with dark humor, they are “fertilizing daffodils” (mga pataba sa lupa.)
Time does not announce its departure; it simply leaves. We often postpone living, convinced that clarity, readiness or the perfect alignment of circumstances will eventually arrive. But life is not obligated to wait for our certainty. The present is the only ground we ever truly stand on and it is always slipping away.
The danger is not failure, but delay. mistaking hesitation for wisdom. Sometimes, what we call preparation is simply fear in disguise. The perfect moment may never come.
To live then is to act despite uncertainty (choose, begin, start). Because in the end, time does not wait for us to be ready.

Comments
Post a Comment